A woman’s purse is her whole life. It’s everything for which a girl must have and need, but we have been in that situation where we just toss receipts, tags, notes and anything that we have in the bag and it just ends up at the bottom of our bag not knowing it’s been there for ages!
Another circumstance where every girl has that big bag that she carries around. What is in the bag? Well most of the time it’s just unneccessary clutter and stuff that has been accumulated over time. Carrying that big bulky bag is irritating and of course frustration builds up when you just can’t find important things inside it!
An overstuffed bag can hinder productivity, cause unnecessary delays (such as finding change, looking for your keys or your train/bus card) and can cause anxiety and health issues. Yes! health issues. Do you know that carrying big bags can cause muscle imbalances, neck and shoulder pains?
So to avoid all these hassles here are my 5 simple tips on how to declutter and organize your purse.
1. Categorize your non-essential belongings – When you say non-essential these are the things that you pull out from your bag once in awhile. Put your chargers, cords, hair clips / ornaments, loose change, make up etc into small pouches. Doing this allows you to find these items easily and avoiding buying anything (which saves money!) because you could easily find them.
2. Identify the items you use frequently from those that aren’t – Why do you need to do this? Because items that you need must be easily visible in your purse. What are those items? House and car keys, sunglasses, etc.
3. Utilize the compartments of your bag – Your bag has compartments right? Utilize them by placing things that you can easily access and use often like your cellphone.
4. Have a small envelope tucked away in one of your bag compartments – Use that envelope to put away receipts, coupons and other important notes that you may use in the future. It keeps away clutter and it won’t be a hassle to look for them once you need it.
5. Have a weekly purse clean up – Make the clean up a weekly habit. Cleaning your purse will provide more space for important things. It also allow you to declutter your bag.
Can you share other tips on how you can organize and declutter your purse?
I would love to know about it on the comments below
Elaine Fernando is a Professional Organizer, a member of the National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO) and a member of APPO (Association of Personal Photo Organizers). Elaine may be reached at 908-630-8995 or firstname.lastname@example.org